Monday, August 20, 2012

Local Bakery On The Plaza Feeds My Addiction (and I like it!)


We all have our vices, addictions and, well, our obsessions!  Mine are sweets and, specifically, a little French sweet called, "macarons."  Your mind might just have drifted off to the popular, fluffy coconut cookie called, "macaroons."  Allow me to correct your vision just slightly, because what I speak and dream of are actually French Macarons, not coconut macaroons.  I travelled to Paris a few years back and tried these unassuming cuties, and this officially stoked my love affair with these French delights.



I found my love again on the Plaza in Kansas City at this tiny, local bakery called Natasha's Mulberry and Mott.  A mother and daughter team, Vicky and Natasha, opened this patisserie in 2005 and did so well that in 2008, they opened a second in Leawood, Kansas.  I have become somewhat of a connoisseur of French patisseries (because I adore them so much), and this is one of the best I've visited.  The croissants filled with wonderful goods like spinach and brie, or ham and gruyere hold the perfect texture and have the right amount of homemade, buttery goodness.  If you ever wish to try truly homemade marshmallows, you must taste theirs. Take a bite, and then close your eyes and drift away dreaming of a perfectly gourmet s'more made of a biscoff cookie, a dark chocolate square, and one of their delicate vanilla marshmallows.  Okay, maybe it’s just me who does that... but it would truly make the most divine s'more if I could just wait until I had a campfire to eat it.



Lest I forget the macarons, they are exquisite and just what I've been searching for since I left Paris.  They have the most deliciously decadent, creamy filling sandwiched between two, tiny macaron cookies.  They are light, crisp and creamy all in one heavenly bite.  I love how adventurous they get with their flavors.  Just recently, they had a bright red macaron which held flavors of chocolate, cinnamon, and a touch of cayenne.  It’s a taste of France and South America in one bite.  Don't get stuck with one flavor, try them all and be surprised by the diversity in sensations.   This local patisserie is a little taste of France on the corner of Ward Parkway and Central.



This heavenly bakery feeds my local addiction not just for Macarons but also a taste of true Paris.  Take a stroll through the Plaza while you bite into your favorite croissant or chocolate chip, caramel cookie topped with sea salt.  I can already envision strolling down the walkway when the winter arrives with a scarf and boots, and my gloved hands holding a steaming hot espresso as my mouth bites into the most perfect macaron.  Mmm, now that is love!


For more information on the two bakeries, please visit:
http://www.countryclubplaza.com/Restaurants/Natashas-Mulberry-And-Mott


~For the love of Macarons and all things made with love~

2 comments: