Monday, August 13, 2012

Eat at the Farmhouse! (Impeccable taste and local flare)



There is a Farmhouse in downtown Kansas City that calls me back for consistently good eats over and over again.  It never fails!  Steeped in local enthusiasm with a modern-rustic flare, The Farmhouse Restaurant serves up some of the most innovative, local comfort dishes and cocktails that I've tasted.  Add a dash of superb service, creativity, and a plethora of ever-changing seasonal dishes, and you're already looking forward to their next meal. 

Situated on a corner street, one need only walk by to feel the warmth exuding from the people inside, and the smells pull at your soul as you sit comfortably and unwind.  The Farmhouse has an amazing knack for pulling you far from your stress and transporting you away with every bite of food you take... as if you were, indeed, on a farm, in the city. Next time you're in, check out the proud list of farms that provide the local ingredients prepared daily for you.  Their "farm-to-table," "tip-to-tail" movement breathes inspiration. 

I have yet to go and eat and not make fast friends with the servers.  They are both knowledgeable and charming and make you wish you could stay all day.  In fact, the first day I visited for Sunday Brunch, we had a few minutes to wait due to a happily filled restaurant which proved great for me because it allowed more time to peruse the menu.  Our server brought us fresh apple cinnamon scones with a caramel sauce and homemade butter (fresh, local apples) for having to wait a few minutes.  “Are you kidding me??  You can be late anytime you want if fresh scones are involved.  In fact, please, take your time."

Apple Scones


 
Digestive Elixir
I started with an elixir drink made with a homemade herbal vinegar and soda water, sweetened with honey.  May sound odd, but it was the perfect pick-me-up to get my digestive juices going, and the bitter quality helped me digest the scones.  They certainly know what they're doing over there.  Next, came their famous "chickpea fritters" with a homemade tomato chutney, pickled carrots, and an herbed sauce that I would have dipped anything in.  Their fresh beet salad is pure perfection with the pistachio vinaigrette and honey-marinated feta.  Honey marinated feta?  I'll take that on pretty much anything, please.


Chickpea Fritters

Let me snowball the delicious effect even further by stating that their grass-fed burger with a purely sinful aioli and Bloom Bakery egg bun can be topped with a local fried egg.  There's not much said at the table when the first bite of burger is tasted and juices embarrassingly pour down your chin. (Not that I cared one bit.)
 
Grass-fed Burger


Dessert to go? Never!
I need an entirely new paragraph for the dessert section.  Please do yourself a favor and save room, because these local treats will melt your heart, and everything is seasonal and subject to change... so don't miss out.  Jude's Rum Cake with homemade vanilla ice cream represents tons of rummy-caramelized goodness, and the cake is crazy moist.  The homemade pecan pie stood up to my Mom's own pie, and only the tiniest crumbs were left for the birds.  So far, I have yet to have something there that didn't leave an "mmm" on my tongue and in my memory.


Rum Cake!


Check it out yourself and dive in to local bliss!

http://www.eatatthefarmhouse.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment